Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Join Luke Stromberg at GoggleWorks Center for the Arts July 11th, 2019



Berks Bards welcomes Luke Stromberg to join us at GoggleWorks Center for the Arts to read selected poetry. Following his reading, we'll allow ANYONE to step up to the mic and read what moves them.


When: July 11th, 2019 at 6 pm
Where: GoggleWorks Center for the Arts Studio 420
201 Washington Street Reading PA 19601


Read Luke Stromberg's Bio below:


Luke Stromberg's work has appeared in The Philadelphia Inquirer, The New Criterion, The Hopkins Review, The Dark Horse, The Raintown Review, Think Journal, and several other venues. He works as an adjunct English instructor at Eastern University and La Salle University; helps organize the West Chester University Poetry Conference; serves as Associate Poetry Editor for the arts and culture blog E-Verse Radio; and co-hosts, along with Kevin Cutrer and Luke Bauerlein Works Cited: A Podcast About Poems. Luke lives in Upper Darby, PA.




Below is a sample poem from our featured poet:


The Mugging



I had the muzzle of a gun, or something,

Pressed against the small of my back. “Your wallet,”

A voice demanded: dry, succinct—like breathing

In my naked ear, unasked, a secret.



As much as the gun, the robbery, his lifting

out my wallet, himself, from my back pocket,

his hand’s invasion, was what was violating. 

After, the thought of that’s what made me vomit.



My private world lost its private affect.

Now even sitting in my kitchen alone

I fear I cannot live my life apart. 

For weeks, when walking from the El to home,

I’ve felt the condensation of his breath

on my earlobe in the newly pregnant dark.  


Find Berks Bards on Facebook and Twitter or join our Mailing List for more information

No comments: